When you’re in the market for a picnic table to build a cozy gathering spot in your backyard or patio, there’ll be a few things you need to keep in mind. What color and style should it be? How big do I want it? Can I find something that can be placed and forgotten, or would I rather get a picnic table that needs regular maintenance? And most importantly – will it last me for years to come?
I’ve put in the footwork and found all the relevant info to help you choose the perfect picnic table to liven up your outdoor space in this list of the 10 best picnic tables for your backyard. When you’ve read through to the end you’ll also see that I’ve added 3 fantastic picnic tables for kids, and there’s 1 last bonus after those if you still haven’t found what you need…
Table of Contents
- 1 What to Consider When Buying a Picnic Table for Your Backyard?
- 2 10 Best Picnic Tables for Your Backyard
- 2.1 1. Giantex Picnic Table Bench Set with Umbrella Hole (Best Value)
- 2.2 2. PHI VILLA Picnic Dining Table and Chair Set
- 2.3 3. Lifetime 6Ft Woodgrain FLD Picnic Table
- 2.4 4. Best Choice Products 6-Person Circular Outdoor Wooden Picnic Table
- 2.5 5. Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Transforming Interchangeable Outdoor Wooden Picnic Table
- 2.6 6. Giantex Picnic Table Bench Set
- 2.7 7. Coated Outdoor Furniture Top Round Portable Picnic Table
- 2.8 8. Premium Cedar Picnic Table by Infinite Cedar
- 2.9 9. Gardenised Wooden Outdoor Patio Garden Round Picnic Table
- 2.10 10. Global Industrial 8′ Rectangular Picnic Table (Longest Lasting)
- 3 Can You Buy Kids Sized Picnic Tables?
- 4 Final Thoughts
What to Consider When Buying a Picnic Table for Your Backyard?
The Weight Limitations
A great picnic table should easily fit 6 adults. Bearing in mind that each person will weigh a different amount, you don’t want to relegate your friend to sit elsewhere because your furniture can’t hold them. To save yourself that embarrassment, make sure that the picnic table you choose has a generous enough weight capacity and strong supporting structure.
Number of Seats
If you have the space for it, the bigger the picnic table you can get the better. Even if you don’t plan to have many guests over at once, it’s better to be prepared for larger gatherings by having enough seats available than to be scrambling for the odd chair or stool from the house. If you don’t have much space and you’re placing a picnic table on a small patio or balcony, consider different table shapes and dimensions so that it fits cozily while still including as much seating space as is comfortably possible.
Depending on your preferences, a wooden picnic table may rank higher than a plastic or metal table. Even so, it’s important to consider not only the look of the picnic table but also the strength of the materials used, environmental hazards it will be exposed to such as direct sunlight and rain, and the approximate life expectancy of the materials used.
It’s always a juggling act to weigh the pros and cons. For instance, direct sunlight will take a toll on wood faster than on metal at the cost of aesthetics and comfort. But at least metal won’t ever cause splinters or warp from changing moisture levels.
Overall Construction Quality
It can be difficult to assess the overall strength of an item by the construction methods used when only viewing it online. If you’re unsure of an item, a great place to start is the comments and ratings. Many previous buyers will have shared their experiences and whilst some comments should be taken with a pinch of salt, assess the overall opinions shared.
If more than 1 or 2 customers reviewed with low scores citing poor craftsmanship then that should be taken into consideration along with the type of item, your expected usage scenario, and cost. If complaints are of poor performance when exposed to sunlight and rain but you plan to have it under cover, for instance, then the item could still be perfect for you.
10 Best Picnic Tables for Your Backyard
First on our list is a picnic table from Giantex which features the best value for money. This product makes great use of Acacia wood’s vibrant wood-grain finish to stand out with an eye-catching surface. The frame is crafted of metal, and the picnic table can seat up to 6 adults or 8 children. Each bench boasts an 800 lbs weight limit and the table itself supports up to 350 lbs.
Read more about the pros and cons of Acacia wood for outdoor furniture use here.
- The natural wood-grain finish on the seats and tabletop
- Crafted using a strong metal frame and renewable wood used
- The wooden surfaces need to be well maintained and a covering should be over the table and benches when not in use
- Direct sunlight is harmful to the Acacia wood
Another picnic table made using lovely thick Acacia wood, this product is also available with 6 armless chairs instead of the 2 benches it would otherwise come with. The legs for both benches and chairs are rust-resistant for outdoor use, although the chairs are a lot more expensive when compared to the benches.
Each bench comfortably sits 3 adults, and the tabletop is a sturdy 2.75 inches thick, made to last for years to come. The seller does advise using a covering for when the benches and table aren’t in use to extend the wooden surface’s life.
- Thick and sturdy table surface
- Oil coating is water-resistant and anti-corrosive
- Benches aren’t connected to the table and can be used elsewhere if needed
- Covering to protect from the elements is not included
If you’re shying away from wooden picnic tables due to the maintenance and care needed, this product from the established company ‘Lifetime’ may catch your eye. The high-density UV-resistant polyethylene tabletop and benches, and the weather-resistant powdered-coated steel frame have been chosen to help this picnic table survive outdoors for years if need be.
But since this picnic table can easily be folded and stored safely when not in use, it could last a lifetime! The surface is made to mimic wood grain too, which adds character and gives the surface some much-needed grip.
- Strong materials support up to 900 lbs per bench and 700 lbs for the tabletop
- Comfortably seats 8 adults
- Can easily be stored or transported folded up
- Non-absorbent surface allows for cleaning of spills easily
- Needs to be assembled for first use
- Seats and tabletop get uncomfortably hot if left in direct sunlight
This delightful round picnic table has a quaint natural appearance being made fully from wood. Being round, each bench is separated in the middle to accommodate 2 adults with a weight capacity of 500 lbs. With the naked wood finish, painting this picnic table to match your garden’s color scheme would make for a fun DIY project, but it’s perfectly ready to be enjoyed as is.
- The small round frame can fit into a snugger area
- The benches attach to the tabletop all as one piece to create a sturdy structure
- Has a hole for an umbrella in the center
- Larger adults may need a whole bench to themselves as they aren’t always wide enough to accommodate 2
- Has a plug in the middle where the benches connect during assembly, which gets in the way of an umbrella unless removed
This little picnic table is super cute and cleverly designed, and it’s a real space saver! It functions remarkably well as a bench for 2 and when you need to use it as a picnic table for 4, all it takes is 1 person to unfold the backrest of the bench to form a picnic table.
The reviews are solid for this product and many customers have advised a coat of waterproofing to make sure it lasts as long as possible, and the construction is top quality to make this a stable and long-lasting product. I’d use this transforming picnic table on my front porch as a bench until I need it for breakfast in the garden as a picnic table again.
- Multi-purpose product
- Strong for its smaller size
- Needs a coat of waterproofing so it doesn’t just soak up water
- Not ideal for large groups of people
Similarly to number 3 on this list, the Lifetime 6Ft Woodgrain FLD Picnic Table, the Giantex Picnic Table Bench Set is made using high-density polyethylene and powder-coated steel to make it ideal for extended periods of outdoor use.
The materials chosen also make it comparatively lightweight for the level of strength that the table and benches provide. The ratings for this product go to show that it’s widely loved and outperforms many other picnic tables in usability and comfort.
- The hollow steel frame provides strength without weighing too much
- Weather-resistant, UV-protected surface, stain-resistant, and easy to clean
- Wooden textured finish for aesthetics and an interesting texture
- Would have to be dismantled to pack efficiently when not in use
For sturdiness and durability made in the USA, once this round picnic table is set up nothing will be breaking it down. The entire unit comprised of the table and 4 attached benches are crafted from 2” galvanized steel with a heavy-duty powder coat finish, and the table top and bench seats are covered with an HDPE coating so that they’re sturdy yet comfortable.
This one also has an incredible range of colors available including black, burgundy, tan and blue, with a plethora of options for different shapes and sizes.
- Simple robust design built to last
- USA-made quality product
- Requires little to no maintenance
- Difficult (but not impossible) to assemble alone
- Heavy to move once assembled
Made from North American Cedar, this unstained picnic table has its natural wooden surface which gives you the freedom to stain it for your desired color or leave it as is for a silver-gray patina finish. Seating 4 adults on each side and with an overhang for extra chairs or wheelchair access, this picnic table can easily cater to a good number of friends or a party.
- Natural Cedar wooden finish
- Very large seating capacity
- The wood can age beautifully, or be stained and painted for a unique look
- Instructions are difficult to follow
Similar to the 4th item on this list, the solid wood Gardenised Round Picnic Table is available in either its natural wood finish or stained darker and can seat 8 as opposed to the 6-seater Best Choice Picnic Table. Having the extra seat is a plus if you’re trying to fit more people around the picnic table in a smaller space as the entire unit can fit snuggly on the porch or into the hidden nooks of your garden.
- Small space-efficient design
- Simply assembled by 1 person
- Can be stained your preferred color or arrive stained
Here we have another picnic made to endure hours of use every day. Galvanized steel frames with a thermoplastic coating will ensure that this picnic table won’t need maintenance or special care for years, and it is available in 5 gentle colors: black, blue, green, gray, and red.
These picnic tables are also fantastic at preventing vandalizing as the surfaces are comprised of a grid pattern, and if you feel the surface isn’t comfortable enough for long periods seated, they can be padded with cushions.
- Low maintenance
- Attractive design
- Perfect for frequent use
- Less comfortable than wood or other types of plastic seats
- The metal easily gets very cold to the touch in cooler weather
Can You Buy Kids Sized Picnic Tables?
Absolutely, here are 3 high-quality picnic tables for your children to use in the backyard:
If you want a high-quality picnic table for the kids then this one bears a lot of similarity to the 3rd item on our list by the same producer, the Lifetime Woodgrain FLD Picnic Table. Although this is kid-sized, don’t let that fool you into thinking the manufacturers cut corners with its design.
This children’s picnic table has been made well with strong materials to last for years to come! And with the added convenience of folding away easily to boot… You can use this table inside and out, and cleaning is super easy with the HDPE plastic tabletop.
- Professional long-lasting quality
- Comfortable seating for 4 children
- Supports the weight of an adult to sit with the kids
- Foldable for easy storage and moving
- Simple to clean or even hose down
For a cute and entirely functional wooden children’s picnic table (and activity table) this product by Merry Garden is just superb. The size means it’s easy to move if necessary, and the solid wood construction provides strength and stability for up to 4 children at once or a parent or 2.
It arrives unstained and would be perfect for painting with the kids in their favorite color or using indoors as is, but if you want it outside then consider applying a protective coat to weather treat the wood.
- Solid wood materials
- Paintable for customization
- Supports the weight of an adult to a degree, especially on the edges above the legs
- Not ready for outside use without a protective coat on the wood
- Would scratch the floor if dragged in-doors (which a child can easily do)
Made with fir wood, the HONEY JOY Kids Picnic Table is masterfully crafted in a set with an adorable proper umbrella to fit its umbrella hole. If you don’t want the more serious walnut color you can opt for the multicolored picnic table and umbrella too for the fun and exuberant streaks of color they add to your children’s play.
- The umbrella included helps children avoid harsh sun rays
- Strong fir wood
- Seats 4 younger children
- Replacement umbrellas are not sold separately
Yes, you can! If you would rather make your picnic table from scratch and you have a woodworking gift or if you wish to get your choice of wood cut to spec and prepared at your local hardware store, this Pilot Rock BTXG-FR Extra Heavy Duty Picnic Table Frame Kit is the way to go!
With the freedom to customize your picnic table to your heart’s content, from 4 to 8 feet, this kit will help you build a picnic table to last for years to come.
A good picnic table, no matter the style or color, will last you through many years and even more joyous memories. If you buy something that needs regular maintenance or, like me, you’d rather invest in a simplistic set-and-forget table with a few gentle cushions,
I hope that you’ll be happy with your informed purchase. But most of all, enjoy the time around your picnic table with friends and family and cherish every moment!
Jamie is the founder of The Backyard Pros. When he was 15 years old he started working at a garden centre helping people buy plants, gardening products, and lawn care products. He has real estate experience and he is a home owner. Jamie loves backyard projects, refinishing furniture, and enjoys sharing his knowledge online.