dog sitting in the grass

How Long to Keep Your Dog Off Grass After Pesticide?

In Lawn Care, Tips by Jamie

Do you want to get rid of garden or lawn pests, but you’re worried about your dog getting pesticide poisoning? Is that even possible?

Keep your dog away from grass treated with pesticides for as long as the product’s label specified. Generally speaking, lawn chemicals linger on your grass for about 48 hours after application. After pesticide application, ensure your dog doesn’t ingest grass and wipe their paws and coat before letting them back in the house.

Let’s learn more about what can happen to dogs if they ingest or rub their bodies against pesticide-treated lawns.

My Dog Walked on Grass with Pesticide, Is That Bad?

Even while he may seem happy to roll about in a pesticide-treated lawn, your dog isn’t just being silly. He’s also scooping up any chemical remnants that may still be on the grass.

If you’re a dog owner, you’re well aware that whatever gets on his coat or skin will eventually make its way into his system. In addition, because dogs are closer to the ground, they are more prone to ingest hazardous fumes or the chemical itself.

Dog hair and paw prints carry pesticide residue inside your home, where it becomes embedded in your carpet and your dog’s favorite locations to relax. Pesticides, which degrade most rapidly when exposed to air and water, can remain in the home for years.

Pesticide concentrations in the indoor environment might be substantially higher than in the outside environment. Typically, carpet dust contains the largest quantities of lawn care chemicals in a home, placing your dog in danger of everyday exposure to toxic chemicals.

My Dog Ingested Grass with Pesticide, Is That Bad?

Pesticide poisoning has a negative effect on the dog in the following ways:

  • Having a detrimental effect on the central nervous system
  • Interfering with enzymes of the central nervous system
  • It can cause chemical burns in the eyes, mouth, and on the dog’s skin.
  • Impacting other organ enzymes including those in the kidneys, liver, and heart.

What to Do?

Take your dog to the doctor immediately if you fear he has consumed pesticide. It is critical to inform your veterinarian about your dog’s history of interaction with pesticides, even if you are not certain he consumed or inhaled any of the substance.

The veterinarian may propose a comprehensive checkup, which will include any necessary blood testing, urinalysis, and biochemistry profile. The biochemistry profile will be used to determine how well your dog’s kidneys, pancreas, and liver are functioning.

Another critical aspect of evaluating your dog is closely monitoring his clinical indicators. Additionally, the veterinarian may check your dog’s electrolyte levels to ensure that the poisoning is not dehydrating him or causing an aberrant electrolyte balance.

If you’re sure your dog has consumed a pesticide, your veterinarian may decide to initiate treatment immediately while awaiting the results of testing. Each scenario is unique, and your veterinarian is qualified to recognize the signs of poisoning and make an accurate diagnosis.

Chemical Lawn Treatments to Keep Your Dog Away From

TruGreen

TruGreen is a lawn maintenance service company that specializes in grass care. The company’s primary focus is on insect and bug infestations. They’ll take care of your lawn issues with a simple phone call.

53 percent of TruGreen ChemLawn’s pesticide products contain ingredients that are toxic to both humans and pets. They are carcinogens that could lead to serious health problems for your four-legged companions.

Roundup

Roundup Super Concentrate Weed & Grass Killer, 1 gal.

Roundup is a weed killer. It is a chemical compound that has a variety of uses in forestry, agriculture, and water treatments.

Glyphosate, the active ingredient, kills by inhibiting a vital enzyme in plants, fungus, algae, and certain bacteria. It is a well-documented human carcinogen. Several studies have connected lawn pesticides like Roundup to an increased risk of canine cancer, indicating that Roundup is toxic to dogs.

Ortho’s Rose Pride Ortho Rose & Flower Disease Control Concentrate, 16 oz

Pesticides containing disulfoton are classified as organophosphates, which have been withdrawn from the market in the majority of cases. However, disulfoton is still widely used in rose protection products such as Ortho’s Rose Pride.

This substance is hazardous since it is palatable to pets yet has extremely harmful consequences. Diarrhea, convulsions, and even death are possible side effects. Because disulfoton is frequently combined with fertilizers manufactured from animal by-products, it becomes even more palatable to your pet.

The ASPCA Poison Control Hotline advises pet owners to avoid using these products. If necessary, use a barrier to keep animals out of treated areas and store leftover goods in a chew-proof container.

Bayer Advanced All-in-One Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer Bayer Advanced All in One Lawn 1.3G Weed & Crabgrass Killer (Pack of 2)

This herbicide contains a chemical known as 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. Some herbicides contain this chemical created by the US military and used in Agent Orange.

A proven carcinogen that has been linked to a variety of other health issues in humans and animals. These concerns range from birth abnormalities to psychological disorders and cancers.

RELATED: Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Pets?

What Are the Reactions that Dogs Have with Pesticides?

Pesticides have the same effect on dogs as they do on humans. Skin rashes, nausea, vomiting, irritation of the eyes, and difficulty breathing are some of the most immediate side effects.

The consequences of long-term health problems are worse. Herbicides are found in the urine of dogs that have been exposed to lawn chemicals. Dogs exposed to herbicide-treated lawns have an increased risk of bladder cancer.

Related Questions

How Long Do You Keep Dogs Away from Roundup?

This is a bit tricky because the label says grass treated with Roundup is safe for pets when the product is dried up.  However, environmental factors can drastically influence this waiting time. It’s best to allow your dogs to play around in non-treated parts of the yard if you apply Roundup.

How Long Do You Keep Dogs Away from Weed and Feed?

You want to keep your dogs away from grass treated with Weed and Feed until the product is completely dry. It’s best if you wait at least 3 days. If your dog is known for munching on grass, you should wait even longer before allowing them to do so.

Is it Bad for a Dog to Eat Pesticide Grass Long After Application? 

It depends on what you understand by “long”. Weather conditions are also a factor that influences the answer. For example, it’s safer for dogs to eat grass one week after the pesticide was applied if it rained during those days. Keep your dog away from pesticide-treated grass for at least 3 days.

Can Pets Inhale Pesticides from Walking Nearby?

Pets are more susceptible to pesticides than humans are because they inadvertently stroll through chemically treated regions and absorb chemicals through their eyes, nose, feet, and mouth. Pets can potentially become poisoned as a result of catching and eating poisoned prey.

Final Thoughts – When to See a Veterinarian?

If the dog comes into touch with a trace amount of pesticide, mild discomfort may occur and is unlikely to cause concern. However, if the dog exhibits any signs of distress or if you suspect he has ingested a pesticide, it is critical to get him to the veterinarian immediately.

Some of the symptoms that are alarming include rapid breathing, collapse, seizures, skin rashes, burns, lethargy, and confusion.