Have you been looking for a reliable no-dig landscape edging kit for your home and garden? Perhaps you have only just begun your research into no-dig kits, and aren’t sure where to begin.
I’ll be going over why you should use no-dig landscape edging, as well as some reasons why it may not be the best fit for you. Finally, I will give you some of my top recommendations for no-dig kits so that you can have confidence in your final purchase.
Does this sound good to you? Great! Let’s get started!
Why Use No-Dig Landscaping Edging?
If you are wondering if no-dig landscape edging is right for you, let’s go over some of the reasons why you might choose to use it.
This type of landscaping edging is perfect for those of you not looking to excavate or dig anywhere in your yard. You may have an established lawn that you don’t want to tear up, or perhaps the spaces you are working in are small and minimalist.
No-dig landscaping edging is perfect for creating unique and compact gardening areas, and you don’t have to worry about damaging any existing plants or root systems.
Most no-dig landscaping tools don’t go too far into the soil- this means you won’t harm any of your existing plants, but you have the opportunity to create a lovely border around your garden. Using a no-dig edging product can bring a uniform look to your garden!
However, everything has its pros and cons. What might some of the good aspects of no-dig edging be, and what about some of the bad?
The Pros and Cons of No-Dig Landscape Edging
If you are still wondering if no-dig landscape edging is right for you, let’s go over some of the top pros and cons now!
- No-dig landscape edging means you don’t need to dig! Just like the name implies, you won’t have to worry about digging up your newly laid sod or established lawn. Your garden can get a facelift without you having to worry about damaging it.
- You can change your landscaping easily and cheaply. Most no-dig borders are fairly cost-effective, especially if you decide to DIY it for yourself. Having a new look for your outdoor areas isn’t as hard as you might think!
- You can stop some invading plant species with no-dig edges. While not all plants will be stopped by this surface border, some plants will be deterred by this simple solution.
- Pests will avoid most no-dig borders. Depending on the height and material you use for your no-dig border, many lawn or other garden pests will be deterred by these products.
- Pets will also view the borders as a no-go. Unless you have a particularly bold dog or cat, most of these no-dig borders have been known to discourage our furry friends!
- Not all invading plants can be stopped. Many species of plants, including grass and common weeds, have the ability to grow underneath your no-dig border. These plants can easily pop up on the other side of edging like this, so it may not be a good choice for you if you plan on avoiding all weeds and grass in your garden bed.
- No-dig edging is no match for lawn care tools. Your friendly neighborhood lawnmower can most likely chew up your no-dig edging if you’re not careful. And be even more careful with weed whackers or other edge trimmers!
- Some no-dig border products can be pricey. You may have better luck following some DIY instructions for some no-dig edging, though these options are even less likely to prevent pests. However, there should be a no-dig kit out there that suits your budget- it just may not be as durable as you were expecting.
6 Best No-Dig Landscape Edging Kits
Now that you know some of the pros and cons of no-dig landscape edging kits, it’s time to look at some of the best options out there on the market today! Here are my top picks to revitalize your landscaping- without digging, of course.
1. Dimex EdgePro Plastic Heavy Duty No-Dig Edging Kit
Create a beautifully landscaped yard without having to hire a professional – this commercial-grade plastic edging from Dimex can be used for both gardens and paver edging!
This kit includes a 100-foot coil of heavy-duty black landscape edging, 5 connectors to create a seamless border between different pieces of edging, and 40 8-inch nylon spiral spikes to hold edging in place, meaning you’ll have a secure no-dig edging option.
Place the edging around raised flower beds, trees, and gardens and use a rubber mallet to drive the spikes into the tabs for a secure, long-lasting border. While the black plastic is fairly plain and uninspired in terms of design, you can’t beat its easy install and the materials used.
Flexible and heavy-duty plastic allows the edging to be installed in a straight line or molded to form curves, and long spiral spikes combat frost, snow, and heavy rain to keep your design in place! You can even hold weed-blocking fabrics in place using this border.
For shorter lengths, simply measure out the amount needed for your project and cut with garden shears. Or you can even create a larger design by using the included connector to join multiple coils. Watch out when it comes time to mow your lawn- otherwise, this is an economical and efficient border!
2. EasyFlex Stone-Look Garden Border No-Dig Landscape Edging Kit
Looking for a more ornamental and attractive no-dig landscape edging kit? Check out this option from EasyFlex! The EasyFlex Decorative Stone-Look No-Dig Landscape Edging Kit adds a rustic finish to any gardening or landscaping project.
The gray ornamental edging is flexible enough to use as a tree ring and the patented No-Dig L-shaped design eliminates damage from digging into tree and plant roots. An overlapping post system creates seamless borders, eliminating the need for connector pieces.
The 2.7-inch-high edging has a built-in retaining section designed to hold back bedding materials and can be installed on top of landscape fabric to prevent weed growth. Simply clear the area of debris and align the edging to the shape of the bed. Slide edging pieces together to create a continuous border around your installation area.
To secure the installation, use a mallet to pound the included spikes into the ground through the pre-drilled hole in each end tab of the edging. Proudly made in the USA from recycled materials, the edging kit includes enough material to complete a 15-foot installation.
3. Flexible Brown Natural Lawn & Landscape Border Edging
One of the more elegant options on this list is this no-dig border from Eco-Green Wood Products. Enjoy a natural complement to your landscape that lasts and lasts. This natural-wood edging is sealed with an exclusive non-toxic staining process, then specially treated to protect it against fungal decay and termite damage.
Finding a durable wood-based edging that is also eco-friendly isn’t easy- that’s why Eco-Green Wood Products stands behind the quality of every piece they produce and offer a hassle-free 5-year durability warranty.
Installation is simple and quick, much like the other edgings on this list. Each section easily connects to other sections using the attached connector pin. Simply connect the sections together and install in less than 5 minutes per section.
One box includes 8 sections (20 feet) of edging with pre-attached stakes to make installation quick and easy. While it may be a bit more expensive than other options on this list, the all-natural look can’t be beat!
4. Suncast 12″ Interlocking No Dig Brick Border Landscape Edging
Instantly create a decorative brick border for your outdoor space with this Suncast Interlocking Border Edging. Sections of the edging simply slide together and can be tapped with a mallet for no dig installation!
This bordering is flexible and can create curves around trees or 90 degree corners around flower beds, helping you perfect your landscaping. This edging is ideal for keeping weeds, grass, and stray hoses out of your garden.
The heavy-duty resin construction offers long-lasting durability and weatherproofing to keep your border edging looking new for years to come. With its brick-like design, this edging adds a decorative flair to your outdoor space.
The bricklike poly is sturdy and weatherproof and is designed for season after season of year-round use. The spikes go quite deep into the earth, hopefully preventing any deep rooting plants from invading your garden beds!
5. Greenes Fence 18 in. Half Log Edging
This Greenes Fence 18 in. Wooden half-log edging can be used to enhance your landscape and protect the soil and mulch in your flower beds. These logs may not have very deep or thick stakes, but the natural wooden finish may be attractive for many garden beds!
This kit features a flexible plastic backing and attached metal stakes for easy installation. The flexible edging can be installed as a circle, curve, or line. It has a staggering height of 5 inches for some sections and 7 inches for the others.
The cedar stain finish provides a natural-looking border for plant beds and walkways. This finish is fairly UV and weatherproof, but can also be further stained. Again, it won’t assist much for deep rooting plants, but the border is very attractive for many gardens!
6. EcoBorder 4 ft. Black Rubber Landscape Edging
Ecoborder has made an eco-friendly landscaping edge made of 100% recycled tires, of all things! This non-toxic border is safe for children, pets, and plants. But what is it best for, besides holding in dirt and mulch? It’s perfect for those of you with lawnmowers!
With its innovative mower edge design, there’s no more need for the trimmer or weed wacker to detail your garden bed edges. And installation is as easy as 1, 2, 3! Simply lay the edging out and hammer in the included plastic nails.
The mower edge design is perfect for protecting your garden beds- you can mow right up against your garden bed without worrying about damaging your mulch or your border. While it isn’t the most attractive border, it is a stable and secure option.
Using a no-dig lawn edging kit is a wonderful choice for those of you looking to update your landscaping or garden quickly and on the more affordable side. These many options should suit a wide variety of landscaping styles and desires.
Have you had luck using no-dig edging products in your yard or garden? We would love to hear from you about your experience!
Jamie is the founder of The Backyard Pros. When he was 15 years old he started working at a garden centre helping people buy plants, gardening products, and lawn care products. He has real estate experience and he is a home owner. Jamie loves backyard projects, refinishing furniture, and enjoys sharing his knowledge online.